In this episode, Taylor and Hope dive deep into what it means to really own your Human Design type, what it looks like to use it in your daily life, how your Human Design type can help change what you do daily to live an easier, less stressful life and what this looks like as a mother and business owner. You can check Hope out HERE!
How Your Human Design Type Can Change Your Life with Hope Pedraza
Hope Pedraza is a Certified Holistic Nutritionist, Functional Diagnostic Nutrition Practitioner, and host of Hopeful and Wholesome Podcast. Hope helps career-driven women & working mom’s to heal their gut, balance their minds, and feel good in their bodies again through functional nutrition & Human Design. Hope also is a mom, serial entrepreneur, and founder of a Pilates-based franchise – in inBalance studio.
TUNE IN + SUBSCRIBE TO YOUR FAVORITE PLATFORM:
- What does hustle like a mother mean to you?
- If you would’ve asked me, you know, a couple of years ago, it would’ve been different than it is now. Cause my goal over the last couple of years has been to do the opposite of the hustle and grind that I’ve been doing for so long. So for me, the hustle like a mother is more of a hustling to like find my own inner peace and find my own like path and kind of forge my own path and doing things my own way, not doing things based on what, you know, society says, or the business world or whatever, just kind of forging my own way. And that’s really the beauty of human design. And that’s kind of what drew me into human design is that that’s literally what it is. Like learning how to do it exactly how you were designed to do it.
- So kinda give us an overview of human design. Just catch everybody up if they haven’t heard about it before.
- So human design is basically the energetic blueprint of your soul. It’s how you were designed, it’s who you were meant to be here on this planet. So [it] combines a lot of like ancient wisdoms like the chakra system and the astrology, theology of life. And then it puts together some more modern-day scientific principles, like neuroscience and quantum mechanics, and quantum physics. And it puts all of this stuff together and what’s called a body graph. And it basically is how you were designed and what makes you unique and different. And so the purpose of human design itself isn’t necessarily to like put you in a box, it’s not meant to tell you like how you fit in, but it’s really here to like literally show you how you are here to be unique and authentic and to live your authentic life.
- So the thing that I don’t have a lot of information on is how we can use this for nutrition and health and wellness. Tell us a little bit about how that works.
- So the way I incorporate it with my clients is I kind of give them the birds eye view. I think the most, um, I don’t wanna say the most important, but I guess that the part of it that gives the most information is just kind of learning about your type, right? And when you learn about your type, you’re able to learn best sleep practices and eating practices and um, movement practices like exercise and those kinds of things based on your type. And then of course there’s the pieces, the variables, the arrows at the top of your chart that point certain ways, like those are nice to know because it kind of helps you if to know if you benefit more from like variety and flexibility in your eating if you benefit more from like consistent ways of eating. And then there’s some centers, some of the, energy centers that can be telling like the splenic center, which is like the center for like immunity and intuition. That’s a really important one to understand. So just kind of going through like the main pieces that really have the most information about let me connect your wellness.
- How can you take this and start looking at it individually? What are some of the ways that we can use that and put it into practice today?
- Make sure you get your chart first so you know what your human design is. I typically like to send people to myhumandesign.com. I think she does the best job of really like simplifying it cuz there are a lot of numbers and arrows and things. It can get too confusing.
- So I’ll start with the Generators. Generators are the doers, right? They have a lot of energy and they are like the life force of the planet. They’re the builders. They do the things like the manifestors have the ideas, and the generators do the thing to bring them to life. And so they have a lot of energy and a lot of energy to expend and generators and manifesting generators are very similar in this cuz manifesting generators as you know, also have a lot of energy they need to expend. And so for generators, because they have so much energy, I equate this to like a puppy, like you gotta let the puppy out in the backyard run around, get all’s energy out. Generators are meant to go until exhaustion. They are here to get all of the energy out before they go to bed. So as far as sleep practices, get all the energy out. Whether that’s getting the project out you have going on in your business, whether it’s I need to go get a hardcore workout in to get all this extra energy out, whatever that is, get all the energy out before you go to bed.
- Manifestors are a little bit different because manifesters, they’re the visionaries, right? They’re the ones that have the vision to bring it to life. And their energetic needs are, um, a lot more inconsistent. And so with that, there brings in this like deeper piece of intuitiveness there to be kind of listened to your intuition about how their energetic needs are changing. They kind of move in phases. They need more high calorie foods, more dense foods to give them more energy when they’re in this resting phase where they’ve, you know, gone through this phase and now they’re kind of coming down the wave. So lighter meals, less calories, maybe more low-intensity workouts like walking or yoga, meditation, something lower intensity. When manifestors have gone to exhaustion, they’re going too far. Manifestors really should take time to kind of discharge, disconnect from the day before they go to sleep to kind of come back to themselves. So whether that’s reading, music, meditation or journaling, or whatever it is kind of taking time.
- So next is Projectors. Projectors are kind of like manifestors, where they don’t have this consistent energy. Projectors are here to work for a short amount of time and then take a rest and work for a short amount of time and then take rest. They don’t have that consistent energy to get them throughout the day. It’s also gonna translate to how they eat. I find that projectors can really feel weighed down by eating big portion sizes and big meals throughout the day. So eating small snacks throughout the day, kind of grazing throughout the day can be more effective for the energetic needs of a projector. They do require more sleep than really any other type. But honoring that and respecting that and knowing that it’s okay that you need more rest and more sleep, like, honor that and take it.
- And then the last type is Reflector. So this is a very small percentage of the population, but 1% of the population are reflectors and they have this really unique ability to reflect the energy of the world around them. And they are constantly taking in everyone’s energy around them because all of their centers are open. So having a time and a place [for] themselves is gonna be crucial. So with my reflectors, I always recommend having a space that’s your own. Whether it’s a room in the house, a corner of the house, like somewhere where you can go to be alone. It’s, you know, coming back to you where you can disconnect from the day. Just have a safe space. Their caloric needs and they’re like exercise, like movement fitness needs, are gonna change because you’re taking on so much energy throughout the day. If a reflector is, if you, you have a partner who’s like, say a manifesting generator or a generator, it’s gonna be exhausting for you.
- So in practice, can you give us an example of kind of like what, looking at our chart, how we can kind of look at that and figure it out?
- Where it says digestion you’ll see there’s a variety of different options there for people. So for some people, it might be like warm or hot and that means that they do better eating warmer foods, and warmer drinks. Um, and maybe they eat better when their body is warmer – like body temperature. Same thing with cold, right? But the complete opposite.
- There’s one that’s low sound or quiet. So eating in a low-sound environment noise can prevent you from like digesting properly from maybe even developing an appetite. My son, who’s a projector, ironically enough, is high sound. So he eats better when it’s a noisy environment. We’ve always had music going or the TV on or whatever, and he’s totally in it. For me, I am open taste, which means that I like a variety. So eating a variety of things based on your taste, based on how you feel.
- So there’s a lot of different ways you can look at like how your body best digests, like the environment you should be in when you’re eating and that kind of thing.
- So what does this mean when we’re balancing, you know, family and work and how does this help? How can this make sure that we’re kind of at our peak when we’re trying to do all the things?
- I was on an interview a couple of months ago and she asked me such a good question cuz she said, what do you think is the most important part of the chart? And I’d never thought about that before. There are so many pieces to it that are important and like, you know, informative and all that. But honestly, I think the most important piece is the not-self thing. So if you look on there, it’ll tell you your not-self thing. And the reason I say that is because you’re talking about like doing all the things and living in flow. That’s your clue. How do you know when you’re not in alignment? How do you know when you’re not in flow? How do you know you’re going against your design? It’s your not-self.
- Here’s where you can kind of do a gut check. Okay, what am I doing that’s not in alignment with me? Am I doing something that I think I quote “should be doing” that I’m really not passionate about? That doesn’t light me up anymore? Am I, you know, going in a direction where I’m just doing it because I think I need to, but not because I want to? You know, so the not-self theme is gonna be huge. And I think that’s the piece that comes in to really be able to integrate that into your life, into your relationships, and your business and your family, and all the things are knowing that piece and being able to recognize it.
- Is there anything else that you wanna leave our listeners with – your top tip for when it comes to human design and nutrition and wellness?
- I think the most important piece of the wellness equation [is] intuition. I am a huge proponent of intuition and like listening to your inner voice and letting that guide you and lead you. And I think that’s a huge piece of human design. Because, you know,, our body is gonna tell us, your body’s gonna give you the clue. Your body is gonna tell you when something is off. Your body’s gonna tell you when you’re moving in the wrong direction. Your body is gonna tell you when you’re doing things that aren’t in alignment. But if we’re not taking the time to tune into it and learn exactly what that voice sounds like and learning what our intuition sounds like, then we’re gonna miss the signs. So I’m a huge proponent of intuition and just building that sense of awareness. I just really think that’s just the most undervalued piece of this wellness equation is just owning that sense of intuition and going with it. If something doesn’t feel right, it’s not right. If the doctor you’re going to doesn’t feel right, then find a different doctor. If the business partner you just signed on with doesn’t feel right, don’t do it. You know, like listening to that intuition and honoring that gut feeling and that inner voice that talks to you.
- So how can people work with you? Where can they find you on the internet?